I Wanna Cast a Spell...

Tabletop RP forum of true awesomeness
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Arid Spark

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 22  Next
AuthorMessage
Trollface
Swiftyuki was here.
Swiftyuki was here.
avatar

Posts : 2503
Join date : 2011-12-06
Location : Lurking in the shadows.

PostSubject: Arid Spark   Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:54 pm

The Arid Plains were once a green, prosperous land, one of magics and empires and gods. Alas, such things rarely last. Gods wage war, Empires consume all, and magic is stretched to its' very limits, to the point where the world around it can no longer take the strain and collapses. This is what happened to the Arid Plains. While once men may have used the powers of their world freely, now such things come at great cost, and few truly recall the secrets of a long forgotten era that once made the world joyful.
Now, little is left, save for the vast expanses of deserts that fill the space between the few remaining fortresses of civilisation. What was once considered law and order is now considered foolhardy and sure to lead to a swift death to the beating sun that lies above.
Even gods cannot survive in such a world. While once there were many, now all that remain are Dadel, God of the Cool Breeze, and his evil counterpart, Icarious, Devil Lord of the Burning Sun. Their respective strongholds of Knightsfall and Darkflame are held together purely from the will of their last fervent followers, and the few missionaries they send out are dressed more for war than spreading the good word.
These days, the powers of the gods seem pale in comparison to those of The Diligent Few. Only three true spellcasters remain in this world, all aged men born in the days before the chaos the world sees now. While their powers seem almost godlike, they are, of course, mere mortals, and as such they have mortal needs. Each keeps themself alive off the souls of others, feeding off their followers. Those who choose to give up their essence for these men, however, are rewarded in the most valuable thing imaginable. Magic. Each is given a conduit of their master's power, and allowed to sup from their powers much as the spellcasters of old.
Of course, you are no doubt dying to know more of such men of magic. Merrilyon the Learned, known to be a dignified, well read gnome, resides in the castle of Caemtol, which may claim to be a fortress but really is more of a giant city, spanning miles around the tower in which he cowers from the world. Cirec the Wily, on the other hand, is a Fey traveller by nature, and she is known to travel the roads of this world amidst a caravan of dedicated followers, sampling the fruits of what new pastures there are for her to behold. Finally, Musterum the Magnificent, a truly demonic figure, crawls through the deep parts of the world, down where the air is still cool and damp.
Surviving such a dry, barren world as the Arid Plains is no mean feat. Food, water, armour, even magic and weapons are a scarcity out here. Travelling through such wasteland is not for the weak of heart, yet you find yourself with little other alternative...

Character Requirements:
Level 10 only,
Magic users (either arcane or divine) require some minor backstory approval. Come discuss the subject with me in private. The same goes for any spell-like abilities (although there's a fair chance I will just let them slide).
Severe Equipment limitation. Yup, seriously. Sucks, don't it? Since I don't want to get into indepth discussions of the fairness of item pricing, I am outright going to give you options for equipment choices...
1. Survivalists pack: Backpack, Rations (3 days), Firewood (1 day), Flint and Steel, Waterskin (3).
2. Mages Pack: Backpack, Spell Book, Spell Component Pouch, Canvan, Ink Vial, Ink Pen.
3. Warriors Pack: Backpack, 1 melee weapon, Users preferred armour.
4. Thief's Pack: Backpack, Thief's Tools, Disguise Kit, Grappling Hook, Fifty Feet of Rope (Your choice as to type).
5. Hunter's Pack: Backpack, 1 Ranged Weapon, 10 (Ammunition Type for your Weapon), 1 Whetstone, 1 Dagger.
6. Divine Pack: Backpack, Holy Symbol (Wood or Silver), Spell Component Pouch, 1 Flask of Water, 1 Ecclesiastical Weapon (mace, hammer, something like that. Ornate and impractical =P)
7. Bards Kit: Backpack, Artisan's Tools, Musical Instrument, Spell Component Pouch, Your Last Will and Testament.
Pick one! That's all you're getting.
Story Limitation: Your character starts in a small desert town named World's End. For whatever reasons (it's entirely up to you), you are on your way to Caemtol.

Everything else is up to you! Okay, feel free to bombard me with requests for undead teleporters designed to cheat my lack of generosity. =P

_________________
His eye's erupted with the flash of an evil light, we'd lost the fight. Struck down by farce and violence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iwannacastaspell.forumotion.co.uk
Trollface
Swiftyuki was here.
Swiftyuki was here.
avatar

Posts : 2503
Join date : 2011-12-06
Location : Lurking in the shadows.

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:13 am

I'll be starting this campaign in a day or two once I've rolled up a babysitter. <<

_________________
His eye's erupted with the flash of an evil light, we'd lost the fight. Struck down by farce and violence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iwannacastaspell.forumotion.co.uk
Trollface
Swiftyuki was here.
Swiftyuki was here.
avatar

Posts : 2503
Join date : 2011-12-06
Location : Lurking in the shadows.

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:00 am

Aaaaaaand, babysitter just about done. I'm still working on spell choices, but nothing that can't wait a few days.

Each of your strolls into the scrubby little shantytown that is World's End some time around mid day. You are tired, and have spent the last few days being bombarded with desert winds and the burning sun above you. In front of you lies a squalid collection of rundown wooden buildings, maybe as many as half a dozen. You have no idea how to get to Caemtol from here, and you're not sure you could go on much further without some rest anyway. Everyone roll fortitude to see how badly the desert beat you on the journey here.

_________________
His eye's erupted with the flash of an evil light, we'd lost the fight. Struck down by farce and violence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iwannacastaspell.forumotion.co.uk
Hiro
I Want Dylan's Babies!
I Want Dylan's Babies!


Libra Dog
Posts : 546
Join date : 2011-12-06
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:33 am

Fort: +8
Hiro carried out 1 launched of one d20 (Image not informed.) :
3

If I'm able to move yet, I check to see if there is a inn clearly marked, and check how many funds I've got.
If I'm able to move, Search is a +10, aaaand
Hiro carried out 1 launched of one d20 (Image not informed.) :
18
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trollface
Swiftyuki was here.
Swiftyuki was here.
avatar

Posts : 2503
Join date : 2011-12-06
Location : Lurking in the shadows.

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:44 am

You're badly beaten by the weather, and a little weary, but nothing a good night's rest won't settle.
Alas, you find your funds dry. You don't even know if they'd accept cash out here anymore.
You do, however, spot that one of the buildings has an old sign swinging above the doorway. The paint on it has long been stripped of paint by the abrasive licks of sand blasting it, but you're fairly certain this used to be some form of inn or tavern, and is probably still used for that purpose.

_________________
His eye's erupted with the flash of an evil light, we'd lost the fight. Struck down by farce and violence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iwannacastaspell.forumotion.co.uk
Sir Orgadude of Awesomton
I Had Dylan's Babies For Dinner!
I Had Dylan's Babies For Dinner!
avatar

Aries Dog
Posts : 1348
Join date : 2011-12-07
Age : 24
Location : Definitly not right outside your window.

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:14 am

Fort
Sir Orgadude of Awesomton carried out 1 launched of one d20 (Image not informed.) :
4
+11

I also search the town, assuming I can, preferably for somewhere more...secluded, than an inn.

Search
Sir Orgadude of Awesomton carried out 1 launched of one d20 (Image not informed.) :
10
+5.5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trollface
Swiftyuki was here.
Swiftyuki was here.
avatar

Posts : 2503
Join date : 2011-12-06
Location : Lurking in the shadows.

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:23 am

You have weathered much harder desert storms than this, and barely feel like your lips are dry after the journey. You search around and manage to find what appears to be a shed out the back of one of the houses. This is the only place that looks completely uninhabited, although you don't actually see any people around anyway.

_________________
His eye's erupted with the flash of an evil light, we'd lost the fight. Struck down by farce and violence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iwannacastaspell.forumotion.co.uk
Sir Orgadude of Awesomton
I Had Dylan's Babies For Dinner!
I Had Dylan's Babies For Dinner!
avatar

Aries Dog
Posts : 1348
Join date : 2011-12-07
Age : 24
Location : Definitly not right outside your window.

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:30 am

I mark it in my mind as a place to spend the night and head looks for an area where I might be able to find someone who knows where Camelo- sorry, Caemtol is. Razz

Search
Sir Orgadude of Awesomton carried out 1 launched of one d20 (Image not informed.) :
16
+5.5

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trollface
Swiftyuki was here.
Swiftyuki was here.
avatar

Posts : 2503
Join date : 2011-12-06
Location : Lurking in the shadows.

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:58 am

You successfully spot one of the many obvious anagrams and references in this game. =P

The first place that catches your eye is the aforementioned inn. The other places look mostly like residential slums.

_________________
His eye's erupted with the flash of an evil light, we'd lost the fight. Struck down by farce and violence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iwannacastaspell.forumotion.co.uk
Sir Orgadude of Awesomton
I Had Dylan's Babies For Dinner!
I Had Dylan's Babies For Dinner!
avatar

Aries Dog
Posts : 1348
Join date : 2011-12-07
Age : 24
Location : Definitly not right outside your window.

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:07 am

I enter it and look around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiro
I Want Dylan's Babies!
I Want Dylan's Babies!


Libra Dog
Posts : 546
Join date : 2011-12-06
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:17 am

I head for it, thinking that they might allow me to stay for a night(or twelve, at how tired I feel) if I offer to help out around the town and inn, maybe help to get them food by hunting and gathering if they knew any good spots.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trollface
Swiftyuki was here.
Swiftyuki was here.
avatar

Posts : 2503
Join date : 2011-12-06
Location : Lurking in the shadows.

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:22 am

Inside, the inn is just as run down as the outside. Old crates are being used as seats and tables, and even those are barely holding together. A few shady gentlemen are sat at around one large crate at the far end of the room drinking something that looks less than appetising. A young female elf with a rather small fey by her side is sat at the bar talking to a minotaur at the bar. The barman seems to be paying very little attention to what's going on in the bar behind him.

_________________
His eye's erupted with the flash of an evil light, we'd lost the fight. Struck down by farce and violence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iwannacastaspell.forumotion.co.uk
Hiro
I Want Dylan's Babies!
I Want Dylan's Babies!


Libra Dog
Posts : 546
Join date : 2011-12-06
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:36 am

I approach the barman, and ask him if the town has any work available, in exchange for being allowed to stay a night in the inn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Orgadude of Awesomton
I Had Dylan's Babies For Dinner!
I Had Dylan's Babies For Dinner!
avatar

Aries Dog
Posts : 1348
Join date : 2011-12-07
Age : 24
Location : Definitly not right outside your window.

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:39 am

I go ask the elf and minotaur if they know how to get to Caemtol from where I am.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trollface
Swiftyuki was here.
Swiftyuki was here.
avatar

Posts : 2503
Join date : 2011-12-06
Location : Lurking in the shadows.

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:46 am

Either of you wanna say what you actually intend to say? You know how it is, different people respond differently if you say things in different ways.

_________________
His eye's erupted with the flash of an evil light, we'd lost the fight. Struck down by farce and violence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iwannacastaspell.forumotion.co.uk
Sir Orgadude of Awesomton
I Had Dylan's Babies For Dinner!
I Had Dylan's Babies For Dinner!
avatar

Aries Dog
Posts : 1348
Join date : 2011-12-07
Age : 24
Location : Definitly not right outside your window.

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:52 am

I briefly point at them "You there, alef and bull-man, would either of you know how to get to Caemtol from here?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trollface
Swiftyuki was here.
Swiftyuki was here.
avatar

Posts : 2503
Join date : 2011-12-06
Location : Lurking in the shadows.

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:00 am

The elf doesn't respond. The minotaur looks back over his shoulder.
"I'm leading a convoy out that way in a few days. If you're up for sharing guard duty and heavy lifting, there's room for you."

_________________
His eye's erupted with the flash of an evil light, we'd lost the fight. Struck down by farce and violence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iwannacastaspell.forumotion.co.uk
Sir Orgadude of Awesomton
I Had Dylan's Babies For Dinner!
I Had Dylan's Babies For Dinner!
avatar

Aries Dog
Posts : 1348
Join date : 2011-12-07
Age : 24
Location : Definitly not right outside your window.

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:08 am

I nod my acceptance. "That I can do. Where should I meet your convoy at?" I look around to room to see if any one is paying me any particular attention.

Search
Sir Orgadude of Awesomton carried out 1 launched of one d20 (Image not informed.) :
17
+5.5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiro
I Want Dylan's Babies!
I Want Dylan's Babies!


Libra Dog
Posts : 546
Join date : 2011-12-06
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:08 am

Arright.
"Excuse me, Mr.Barman? I've been traveling for quite a long time, and I need a place to sleep, but I've no longer any gold. If you have any work, or anyone else around in town has any work, I would be happy to earn my stay rather than ask you to lodge me for free."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trollface
Swiftyuki was here.
Swiftyuki was here.
avatar

Posts : 2503
Join date : 2011-12-06
Location : Lurking in the shadows.

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:16 am

Orga:
"It's a small town. I'm sure I can find you when it's time to go."
There doesn't seem to be anyone taking any notice of you whatsoever. You feel like a prima donna for checking.

Hiro:
The barman doesn't turn around.
"Got anything to trade?"

_________________
His eye's erupted with the flash of an evil light, we'd lost the fight. Struck down by farce and violence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iwannacastaspell.forumotion.co.uk
Sir Orgadude of Awesomton
I Had Dylan's Babies For Dinner!
I Had Dylan's Babies For Dinner!
avatar

Aries Dog
Posts : 1348
Join date : 2011-12-07
Age : 24
Location : Definitly not right outside your window.

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:17 am

I nod again and walk out the bar with the intention of staying in that abandoned shed thing for the rest of the day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trollface
Swiftyuki was here.
Swiftyuki was here.
avatar

Posts : 2503
Join date : 2011-12-06
Location : Lurking in the shadows.

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:20 am

You, uh, successfully walk out of the inn? You don't need to roll for that. =P

_________________
His eye's erupted with the flash of an evil light, we'd lost the fight. Struck down by farce and violence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iwannacastaspell.forumotion.co.uk
Hiro
I Want Dylan's Babies!
I Want Dylan's Babies!


Libra Dog
Posts : 546
Join date : 2011-12-06
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:20 am

"No, nothing I can live without, other than my time helping out around the town. I need what I elsewise have for hunting, and making fire, during my travels. I suppose if you all around here are low on food, and know where any edible wildlife or plants around here, I can go hunting and get food in exchange for a room."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trollface
Swiftyuki was here.
Swiftyuki was here.
avatar

Posts : 2503
Join date : 2011-12-06
Location : Lurking in the shadows.

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:36 am

The barman busies himself with something behind the counter.
"Food would help. If you can find it, there's a room here for you."

_________________
His eye's erupted with the flash of an evil light, we'd lost the fight. Struck down by farce and violence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://iwannacastaspell.forumotion.co.uk
Hiro
I Want Dylan's Babies!
I Want Dylan's Babies!


Libra Dog
Posts : 546
Join date : 2011-12-06
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:02 am

Sara noded, saying,"Very well," before leaving the inn and heading back out to the edge of town, where her wolf was waiting. She told him to follow her, and decided to get started tracking any wildlife in the area.

Tracking(Survival):+14
Hiro carried out 1 launched of one d20 (Image not informed.) :
3

Move Silently:+4
Hiro carried out 1 launched of one d20 (Image not informed.) :
12
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Arid Spark   

Back to top Go down
 
Arid Spark
Back to top 
Page 1 of 22Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
I Wanna Cast a Spell... :: The Main Hall-
Jump to: